Thursday, November 18, 2010

Naked Va Vang! Jewelry


Terra Hanks is a wild child who designs wild awesome jewelry! This is what she has to say about her art and herself:

"My Biz:
Naked Va Vang...Naked & Golden ( in Vietnamese)

"Terra Marcella Hoon Hanks is my name and I am the big (and only) boss/worker of the aforementioned business. I am eclectic and erratic but always emphatic. I have forever loved to make things with my own two hands...

"One of the first projects I remember doing is sewing Christmas presents-underwear topped off with a Santa stencil (for the males) and lavender drawer sachets( for the ladies). I think I was 8. I too, think it was for the entire extended family. I am not sure who's idea it was-whether my mom was embarking on cheap child labor or just trying to impregnate me with creativity-either way i started using the hands to do creative things and it just kept going.
"My inspirations used to live in about a two mile radius. I grew up with a twin sister. We were home-schooled on a farm-with horses+-in Iowa, so we would venture out collecting wonders of nature, daydreaming, spying on ghosts, horseback riding, pretending, and living freeeeeeeeeee. My collecting has definitely not stopped. I have piles of rocks and seeds and pods and leaves and bones and teeth and fur and feathers and even beautiful garbage. I love to make things with other found things. Always have. However, now that we have the world wide web and i have some years of travel under my belt, i have found global inspirations in the following in no apparent order....

*Cleopatra
*Sea Slugs
*Tribal Namibian Women
*Science
*Natural History
*Barbarella
*Mineral Oddities
*Old Black & Whites
*Jacques Cousteau
*Barnacles
*Make Believe
*Animal Patterns
*Fabric
*Geology
*Native Americans
*Yellowstone
*Carnivorous Plants
*Netflix
*Bikes
*Coral Reefs
*Clouds
*Recycling
*My Gran
*Crinoids
*A Certain Gypsum Shoe

"These various inspirations evolve and morph into others before my eyes. One leads to another to another to another....another....other...an....but chiefly, the ocean and geology send me crazy creative.

"I am fiercely independent, so I strive to bring individuality to my jewels & osmotically instill the same within its wearer. I am also a huge fan of reusing, recycling, reconstructing, revamping, redoing, resurrecting, resurging...re-ing pretty much anyway it can be done. I think we've got enough stuff on this planet to keep us all busy for awhile-so i do what i can to change old forgotten wonders into fresh hits. I hate using capitals when I type but I am fighting that hatred, because you see, I am also a fighter. And a lover. And a dreamer. Pretty much like everybody else. Ha! I have two jobs. I am a wild land firefighter for the big bucks and when I can't do fire I do jewels...I find the balance of femininity through my jewels. And at the end of a long summer in the woods with 20 dirty boys I need it! I am in love. I am fearless of everything except rejection. I long for the beach-always. I am a good friend. I look forward to meeting you-the reader and wearer of things created by my hands. I thank you.


"You can find me at:
nakedvavang.etsy.com
and naked va vang as my fan page on facebook
nakedvavang on twitter

*if you mention having read this i will hook you up with treats*"

message image message image

No comments:

Post a Comment